Lost: Country Bills, Portland, Ore.

November 28, 2012 by John Chilson

A few weeks back, Country Bills in Woodstock was demolished to make way for Gawd-knows-what (mixed-used condos?). My pal managed to capture a couple of pix of ghost signs that were revealed during the demo.

What else is there to say? Was the food good? Hardly. But it was more than just a restaurant- it had a great bar, signage, and vibe that is quickly disappearing. Another part of old Portland that’s gone forever. Check out some photos from its life, here.

Image

Image

Image

About these ads

6 thoughts on “Lost: Country Bills, Portland, Ore.

1. adventurepdx says:

Somehow in my wanderings ’round Woodstock I don’t think I ever looked at this place. Maybe I blocked it out of my head since “steak house” translates “nothing to eat here” for a vegetarian. Looked to have a great neon sign. Alas.

2. Ben Waterhouse says:

Wish someone had bought the place during the two years it was on the market and kept Mr. CB’s, but that was a non-starter with the million-dollar pricetag

3. Connie says:

Hi – can’t find your email. My dad was a chef in Portland in the 1950′s 60′s – my sister & I have a couple of menus, memories, etc. He worked at London Grill, Aloha Room, Athens West, Shellys in the US National Bank, and more plus., leased and ran the dining room at the old Campbell Hotel for several years, etc. I grew up on 21st & NW Hoyt. Interested in any of this – contact me: ptown1950@hotmail.com

4. tiltor says:

I saved the steaks plastic part of the sign and got most the neon off the sign. That’s what I do. I save cool old Portland From Fading Away. speaking of look THE FAMOUS FARM HOUSE IS FOR SALE.

5. Heather says:

Country Bill’s is becoming a Zoom Care. Slightly less offensive than another condo, but my heart leapt when I saw new windows and thought it might be a new restaurant that wanted to keep the beautiful hand-painted steaks and seafood sign. Sigh.

6. Ray says:

Yup…zoom care and gentle dental…oh well.