(Photo of the week, a new, feature of Lost Oregon that highlights Oregon’s architectural heritage.)

Street view of the Equitable building, Pietro Belluschi’s modern masterpiece:

Courtesy of University of Oregon Libraries.
Advertisements

7 thoughts on “Photo of the week: Equitable Building

1. Marcia Staunton June 17, 2012 / 8:08 am

My neighbor used to work here when I still lived at home and worked downtown.

Van duns. Used to sell truffle bars for fifty cents each. Was a nice building way back when.

2. Lynette Hanson June 17, 2012 / 8:10 am

Oh, boy, do I ever love this photo! Thank you! The Equitable is one of my favorites downtown, anywhere for that matter.

• schlockstar June 17, 2012 / 8:26 am

I work in the building – it’s very well-preserved!

• Lynette Hanson June 24, 2012 / 10:42 am

That’s good to hear, that the interior is in such good shape. Thanks!

3. Tim Lyman June 17, 2012 / 3:21 pm

Never would have guessed it was built in 1948. Way ahead of its time.

4. Mike Munk June 17, 2012 / 6:21 pm

I see Van Dyns choclates, Ireland’s restaurant and the SP& S railroad ticket office.Wasn’t Rich’s cigar on the corner just off the left side of this photo?

5. Andy June 17, 2012 / 9:06 pm

Love the SP&S/Northern Pacific ticket office here. Reminds me of the postcard I’ve seen of the Pacific Building circa 1955 with the Southern Pacific ticket office located at the corner of 6th and Yamhill. It’s sort of amazing how much importance rail transit had back then.
    I wait for the bus across from the Commonwealth on occasion… this photo just drives home how much more interesting and “useful” the urban landscape used to be.