Roy’s Pancake Corral and Chuckwagon

Roy’s Pancake Corral in Baker, Oregon, promised 16 varieties of pancakes served all day and a western style chuckwagon every evening:

The other location, in downtown La Grande, Oregon, served chuckwagon every day and invited hungry Oregonians to “come as you are,” as opposed to come as you were I guess.

Not big on the professional food photography I take it. Or maybe they were going for the stark, unappetizing look.

Also, a big thank you to Dave Knows: Portland who linked to my previous Burger King post on OregonLive. Tremendous traffic and new readers – for those who found Lost Oregon from the link, welcome aboard. Be sure to subscribe to our RSS feed, too!

Advertisements

19 thoughts on “Roy’s Pancake Corral and Chuckwagon

1. Jennifer August 21, 2008 / 5:56 pm

Great pictures! No sneeze guards….

• garth weisenberger September 1, 2015 / 1:47 am

If you look hard the glass was so clean you couldn’t see it but it is there I’ll guarantee that. But if you were a little kid like I was. I guess you’re right only meant for the adults lol

2. Stewart P July 13, 2009 / 12:12 am

Roy and his wife owned and operated this business for years. While he was away at times in the merchant marine to provide for his family his wife would continue to mind the store. They heard rumors how popular buffet’s were becoming with the likes of places like JJ Norths and Kings Table. So they banded together a few buffet tables to give it a try, and quickly turned a modest pancake house to a “we got em lining out the door” type restaurant. Roy and his wife continued in the business for another 30+ years becoming instrumental in the opening and operating of some nearly 40 buffet restaurants scattered throughout the Northwest, mainly in Washington.

• garth weisenberger August 25, 2015 / 11:35 pm

That’s not all true I’m the youngest of the Weisenberger after question Try to help with the truth

• garth weisenberger August 31, 2015 / 11:01 pm

• garth weisenberger September 1, 2015 / 1:52 am

Well a lot of truth onthat one but still some wrong facts. I can live with that it lot of respect for for my mom and family

3. John Goodyear July 15, 2011 / 5:50 am

Yes, can you tell me when Roy’s Chuchwagon in Baker City, Oregon, burned down? I think it was somewhere in the 1970,s. Thank you.

4. Marlene Steiner July 24, 2011 / 7:51 am

I do remember Roy’s Corral.. When I was a kid, I would come and see my grandparents and they would have to take my mom, 2 sisters, and I there to eat at least once while we were visiting Baker from Alaska… I was there in Baker last fall visiting family.. What I had notice not being there for over 10 years everything had change and most of the stores that I would go to are now gone… What a big shame to see those gone…

5. Marshall Dunston June 6, 2013 / 4:26 pm

I had never known where Roy’s Chuckwagon had started. The first one I had been to was in Burien, Washington in a strip mall. That was the only one I ever remember seeing in the greater Seattle area. Other than that suburban Seattle location, I only remember seeing them in small towns like Port Angeles, WA and Chehalis, WA. I probably last ate at the Chehalis restaurant in the late 1990’s before it closed!

6. garth weisenberger August 25, 2015 / 11:38 pm

If you’re looking at the postcard picture just go down the old organ highway and look at the mountain you’ll see where if I had bypass highway doesn’t even go there why have bypass I would never even go there

7. garth weisenberger September 1, 2015 / 1:36 am

Ask me a question still have nilia Weisenberger mother.
    Linda Weisenberger Sister. married Carl bond his family lived in Baker
    Roy Jr Weisenberger Brother
    Alan P Weisenberger Brother
    Bill W Weisenberger Brother
    And that leaves me Garth L Weisenberger 59 year old! little brother
    Leroy A Weisenberger father
    Everybody knew him as Roy Weisenberger
    He passed away on 1-27-2000
    Have more info? if you ask

8. Al Donnelly February 10, 2018 / 2:43 pm

Any chance Roy’s used silverware with a Western styled “R” engraved as a topmark?

• Garth Weisenberger February 21, 2018 / 10:07 am

Roy’s did not use an R on utensils.
      There was another smorgasbord called The Royal Fork I believe that’s your “R”.

9. Rod Marshall June 7, 2019 / 9:46 pm

Garth- Your Mom and Dad were 2 of the nicest people I have ever known. Roy was one of my very closest friends. A truly honest and fair man who really knew how to consistently put out great food at a very reasonable price. I spent a lot of hours servicing his HVAC and the gas appliances in the restaurants. Roy was always mindful of the cleanliness of the premises and the quality of the food, watching carefully that no food be stored past it’s prime and would sort out that food that was approaching date limits and haul that food to one of the food banks or other charitable institutions. Yes , Roy was a very fine Man!! I was fortunate to have known him!

• Garth Weisenberger July 18, 2019 / 9:04 pm

Thanks for the comments Rod we appreciate it I remember you well and my dad always appreciate your friendship!