July 14, 2012 by John Chilson

Photo courtesy of Salem Public Library

This photo perfectly captures a moment in time, of Main Street, USA. When Americans could spend and shop locally and get all their goods on one street. Names like Mangus Variety, Monahan’s for Dads and Lad (great name) Parrish Rexall, cafe, and hardware store.

About these ads

7 thoughts on “Photo of the Week: Canby 1961

1. Rebecca says:

I love it!

2. I wonder if you happen to have any photographs of these street corners from the 1970s and 1980s? Among them, I’d like:
    *SE McLoughlin Blvd. & Concord Rd. between 1970-1985
    *SE McLoughlin Blvd. & Oak Grove Blvd. between 1970-1985
    *SE McLoughlin Blvd. & Courtney Ave. between 1970-1985

3. R. Rolande says:

What I want to know, is, who was the local Chevy dealer? I am pretty certain that there were some Fords and maybe even a Mopar or two in town, but Main street seems to be Chevy town, USA

4. And most people could walk there (even though the photo shows lots of cars). It looks like this photo was taken when I was a teen. Growing up in a small township outside a large city, we said “downtown” for the city and “uptown” or “upstreet” for the shopping district in our township. I still use “upstreet” for the strip mall a couple blocks from here. Confuses the heck out of DH.

5. albanycottonwoods says:

Reblogged this on albanycottonwoods and commented:
    This is much like how the Lebanon-Albany Area would have looked, small quaint and beautiful. These small cities make up the backbone of Oregon History.

6. Mary Gobet says:

I just finished doing a fashion show for the Canby Library’s 75th birthday. They wanted only 1930′s items. I augmented the real clothing with a powerpoint slide show of pics I found through personal items the local Historical Society. Though I have lived here over 30 years this gave me an new perspective on all the history in Canby. Thanks for dropping this one into the collection you are showing.

7. BobbyFree says:

Mangus Variety, my Grandpa shopped there and I loved that place for the brief time I could until it closed in the late 90′s. End of an era.